It’s been a turbulent fortnight.
First, David was promised a position that would keep us here for at least a couple of years, but it had to be proved that he was the only person suitable.
He was not deemed so.
Second, he then received notice of a position down south, near Basingstoke.
This was pants. It meant a return to shifts, regular trips abroad to unpleasant climes and few visits home, once every other month if lucky for the next three years. The travel connections meant nearly a twenty hour journey to get home which, with the return trip, would waste most of the weekend. Because of the point the children have reached in their education (we’re at the point of exams every year for the next eight years now!) it is not acceptable to move them into a different education system, so the children and I have to stay here, which goes against my promise to follow David to the ends of the earth. It would also make a mess of David’s plans for the future. For the past ten years he’s been studying (on and off) towards his degree with a view to becoming a teacher when he’s leaves his current employment. This would be impossible to continue and the sacrifice of family time and money wasted. It was also his negative preference (if there is such a thing) which was also unfair at this point, with less than four years to go.
I know this was the life chosen, but at this stage in his career it was an insult to 26 years of totally loyal commitment. I was distraught, angry, frustrated and disappointed (for David). For a couple of days there were sleepless nights and my daily quick walk was spoilt, I kept finding myself with tears streaming down my face, and usually my walks are my self medication. This was not a good place to be.
By the end of this week, things had changed, (although we are still waiting for the piece of paper…) and he is now going to a place near Wolverhampton. No shifts, time abroad possible, but less often, half the travel time with a train connection on his doorstep and plenty of time to study. This all makes a massive difference and I feel much more relaxed with the prospect.
We went for a walk yesterday, one that David had planned to practice my navigation skills. It turned out that because of the avalanche risk (!!!!!) the intended route was not so feasible, so there was a change of plan and we were to walk up towards Ben Macdui from the ski centre, but turn off towards Cairn Lochan then on to Cairn Gorm and back down via the Ptarmigan. Sadly, the lower car park was full and instead of waiting in a queue for a bus, we walked up to the ski centre. This added 1.35 miles and 411ft ascent and I think that’s why certain people with little legs (we had three of our little treasures with us) were beginning to struggle before we reached the path split. The walk leader (rather grumpily) made the call to turn about and we returned to the car. I suppose this counts as a failure and we were a little disappointed, but I did think someone was being a little over ambitious, considering it is the middle of winter and wading through snow at times was a little wearing.
1.5 average mph (uphill)
A little less turbulence in the next few weeks would be appreciated.