Tuesday 23 September 2008

Planning and research

Still planning my route and researching equipment.

I don't know how many times I can review and tweek my route, but I've currently made alterations after my stop at Braemar by including Carn an t'Sagairt Mor, Carn a Choire Bhoideach and Lochnagar enroute to Glas-allt-Shiel bothy and then continue onto Clova the following day, as originally planned.

Mind you, I think at the moment it's just all what appeals. In the end, it will depend on my fitness and stamina, although my stamina is usually quite good. Perhaps my plans will even change as I go, if my feet get sore!

As to equipment, I want a Shewee, (said in hushed tones for the sake of propriety, yours, not mine!) and I'm going to have one with an extension pipe, so there!

'Nuff said about that.

I want a down jacket that I can stuff into small spaces that will keep me warm of an evening, post walk and before bed, so I've got my eyes on something by North Face, Mountain Equipment or Rab. They all have warm stuffability, it'll be the best bargain I can find in the end! I would have preferred something that wasn't black, but if I do need to wear it and be visible, I might have a hi-viz vest stashed away, (perhaps a bit too sad, even by my standards...) or if I have to remain in one position I can use the bright orange survival bag! Should do the trick.

I want new walking trousers and a trekking jacket of some variety and I've settled on my baselayer, I think, I've seen a recommendation for some from Millets, of all places. I good price clinched that one too.

What is it I say to my children? Oh yes. "I want never gets." We'll see about that!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's quite a few jackets that are insulated which sound perfect - looks like you're going down the right route with Mountain Equipment, TNF and Rab...grabbing a bargain sounds like the best bet but as most stores are only just starting to stock them you'll have to keep your eyes peeled for a bargain!

Really well written blog post. Thanks, and good luck!

Ben
http://blog.cheaptents.com

Louise said...

Thanks Ben! Nice to know my blog has appeal.

I know what I'm like, I'll keep looking and looking, changing my mind all the time, but I'm not known for my decisiveness...

As I've given myself soooo extremely long to plan this, (hubby is fed up with it all already, poor dear!) but I should have the chance to pick up a bargain in the spring sales next year perhaps? Here's hoping anyway.